Start by marking “In the Sewers of Lvov: A Heroic Story of Survival from the Holocaust” as Want to Read:
In the Sewers of Lvov: A Heroic Story of Survival from the Holocaust

In the Sewers of Lvov: A Heroic Story of Survival from the Holocaust

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  152 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In German-occupied Poland, a group of resourceful Jews found the perfect place to hide from the Nazis, and avoid the mass executions in May of 1943. Enduring hunger, rats, thirst, dysentery, and incredible psychological pressure, they hid for nearly two years in the sewer system beneath the city of Lvov. Their courage, as detailed in this inspiring book, is a testament to ...more
Published September 1st 1991 by Scribner Book Company (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about In the Sewers of Lvov, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Sewers of Lvov

Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
Before the war the small town of Gdow, the nearest large community to my grandfather's farm, had a sizeable number of Jews living in it. My father used to talk about them; they ran some of the shops and inns, they traded with his parents, he went to school with them (they gave him their chicken sandwiches and he gave them his pork kielbasa ones). One of these Jews, a trader called Samuel, often came round to the farm and would chat with my grandparents. He would make complimentary comments about ...more
Cooper Cooper
Aug 16, 2009 Cooper Cooper rated it really liked it
When the Nazis began to liquidate the ghetto in Lvov, a handful of Jews survived by escaping into the sewers under the city. For fourteen months, until the Red Army liberated them, they lived in appalling conditions, beset by rats and knee-deep in muck and sewage and eating moldy bread and rotten potatoes and unable to stand upright; they survived not only because of their will to live but because of a Polish sewer-worker and former criminal named Socha—the real hero of this story—who shifted t ...more
Nate Hendrix
Mar 16, 2012 Nate Hendrix rated it it was amazing
This is the true story of a group of Jews that hid in the sewers beneath Lvov, a Polish city, for 14 months at the end of WW 2. It is amazing the lengths people will go to to survive. This is written from personal accounts and the story is mind boggling. Very hard to put myself in their shoes. I had heard of this story but didn't know any of the details till I read the book. Makes you wonder what each and everyone of us is capable of.
John
Apr 03, 2012 John rated it really liked it
Survival in the sewers of Lvov, Poland during the Nazi invasion. The survivors lived below ground for 14 months, before emerging.
Nancy
Jan 27, 2009 Nancy rated it it was amazing
It's unbelievable what these people went through and survived. Socha is a true hero.
Jmrathbone
May 04, 2012 Jmrathbone rated it really liked it
this is an amazing story and one I hadn't heard about before.
Aiz Rorrer
Sep 27, 2010 Aiz Rorrer added it
Shelves: really-good
Very well written and inspirational book.
Kparke
May 03, 2008 Kparke rated it it was amazing
I read a lot of rescuer lit, and this one is extraordinarily compelling.
Gayle Gordon
Jul 30, 2013 Gayle Gordon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Borrowed through Interlibrary Loan from the Dallas Public Library.

I found out about this book from watching a movie called "In Darkness," which is a Polish movie about these events. After reading the book, I did not like the movie so much. Some of the characters were made to be much more unpleasant than the way they were depicted in the book, but then again, maybe the book was a "cleaned up" version. I doubt it, though. I think the author tried to be as true to the historical events as possible.
Scott Zielinski
Apr 08, 2016 Scott Zielinski rated it it was amazing
My grandparents lived in this city during the time this book is being written about. I remember for years asking them to tell us stories of when she lived there during the war, and they refused. After reading this book, and The Girl in the Green Sweater; I now know why. And this is only one family's tale, in one Polish city...
It is a haunting tale indeed, one that should not be missed by anyone remotely connected to this part of history.
David Brown
Jan 08, 2016 David Brown rated it really liked it
This is a compelling book. It covers in some detail the survival of a small group of Jews in Lwow during the Nazi occupation. If it were a work of fiction I would have not bothered but as it is a true story it beggars belief.
Steven.J
Apr 26, 2016 Steven.J rated it it was amazing
This read is unbelievable and very rewarding, both in the lessons and eternal questions we are left with as the book comes to an end.It's a stunning and unique glimpse at events which are so unimaginable.
Lorenzo
Oct 23, 2014 Lorenzo rated it liked it
I liked it,ma it was boring! D:
Holly
Mar 17, 2014 Holly rated it really liked it
A pretty incredible story of survival.
Linda
May 02, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
R
Hazel Edwards
May 30, 2013 Hazel Edwards rated it it was amazing

Frighteningly impressive read. Explores the resourcefulness of some, and the impact of war, senseless violence and prejudice. Makes you wonder how you might react in such extreme circumstances.
Lauren Groseclose
Apr 25, 2013 Lauren Groseclose rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of story that makes you appreciate your life because no matter what you've been through it probably doesn't compare to living in the sewer for over a year.
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Laura Falk
Laura Falk marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Mary P Hoerner
Mary P Hoerner marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Mary
Mary added it
May 09, 2016
Caroline Reed
Caroline Reed marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Lisa Mcdermott
Lisa Mcdermott rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Gayle Francis Moffet
Gayle Francis Moffet marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Georgette
Georgette marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Craig Wilson
Craig Wilson marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Larry S. Marso
Larry S. Marso marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
  • Belzec, Sobibor, Treblinka: The Operation Reinhard Death Camps
  • The 23rd Psalm: A Holocaust Memoir
  • Babi Yar: A Document in the Form of a Novel; New, Complete, Uncensored Version
  • Forgotten Holocaust: The Poles Under German Occupation, 1939-1944