Start by marking “Girls to the Rescue, #1” as Want to Read:
Girls to the Rescue, #1

Girls to the Rescue, #1 (Girls to the Rescue #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  326 ratings  ·  52 reviews
In most heroic tales, a helpless young lady waits around for a prince to rescue her.  But the spunky girls in this entertaining series are much too busy saving the day to await Prince Charming.  These adaptations and original stories from around the world inspire readers to become a new kind of heroine.  If you enjoy the stories in this book, loo...more
Published December 21st 2010 by Meadowbrook (first published June 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Girls to the Rescue, #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls to the Rescue, #1

Caitlín (Ink Mage)
I really loved this book when I was younger, because all of the stories (even the retold fairytales like Cinderella) are feminist-oriented. And not in the usual misconception people have of feminism being people who who think "men are stupid," but in the way that girls and women are people, too, and that we're strong enough, clever enough, and smart enough to fix our own problems and save the lives of people we love.
Dana ~the difference between them and me is that i will not fall~
Ten short stories about creative and resourceful girls who all "save the day" in some sense--but not like superheroes, of course. An example is the Japanese girl named Kimi in the story Kimi and the Ogre. Kimi saves the day by getting her foolish brother Taro out of trouble and danger with her quick wits, not strength or superpowers like in comic books.

It was hard to pick since there were so many good ones, and all the characters were so fully developed, but my favorite short story was the first...more
May
Mar 31, 2013 May rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: e-books
It is amazing!
although it's 10 children stories, it has so many good ideas, and some good morals (but I didn't like that some of them based on lies). the introduction was remarkable as well!
I was attached with the first story, almost cried after the second, and LOL while reading the third. in all stories the girls are in the spot light!

if you're tired from old classical stories, like Snow white, sleeping beauty... etc, you'll find in this book great different perspective.

I'm going to read the ne...more
Janisu-chan
Great book! I loved all the stories and how clever the girls were. I wish my library system had more of these books. 'sigh'
Marcea
The entire point of the book is to make a collection of tales where unlike the fairy talks I grew up on of empty-headed, pretty-faced china dolls tht had to be rescued by a prince with a kiss or a godmother’s magic – these girls are the heroines of their own stories. I particularly liked the rework of Scheherazade for ‘Chardae’s 1001 Nights’, and ‘The Royal Joust’. Of course the stories are fantastical and the resolutions and happy endings come easy but then they are fairy tales. I must admit to...more
Cindy Winder delong
george
I loved these fairy tales!! There aren't any weak girls or women in these stories. All of the stories are centered upon smart, kind, resourceful, courageous, brainy and clever heroines. Some fairy tales are re-worked classics, others are original tales. All prove that girls don't need to wait for her prince to rescue her; in fact, sometimes she rescues the prince! The stories take place all around the world, including Japan, Mexico, China and Germany. I just glanced back at the Table of Contents...more
Chris
This is a good little collection of fairy tales about girls doing the deeds, be it rescuing thier brother, dealing with stepmothers, or a bunch of other things.

While each tale is retold by a different author, the tales come from a wide background. There is a story about former slaves in the United States, there is a story with a unicorn, there is a beautiful story about a princess killing a dragon and a troll.

The stories are designed for children, mostly girls, and the girls succeed largely due...more
Kate
When I read the description when I bought the book, I was expecting something that was factually based. These are essentially fairy tales. Other than wrong expectations, I still wasn't impressed with the stories - there was really one one that seemed fully developed.
Jaime the Wizzard
This book had a nice collection of good stories that feature girls/women as the heroes and main characters. A few stories had odd writing styles, but I suspect that they would sound better read aloud like most children's books.
The only story I had a problem with was the retelling of The Arabian Nights, but that's just because I hate “cleaned-up” versions of fairy tales and thought the beheadings could have been left in. Most kids (yes even girls!) would rather hear about peoples heads getting c...more
smalls
Found this in a give away box. Going to check it out and see if I would let my kids read it. Half way done, so far like all the stories except for one part in the first one that involved cutting up the family curtains and sheets. But loving the rest of it. It's not a bad book. Some of it is a bit too feminist for my taste, but all in all it is a fun book.
Melissa Maffei
A must read book. I belive that the stories told throughout this book is not only powerful, but enlightning and influential. This book focus on how girls solve their own problems and rescue themselves and others who are in danger. I also love how cultrally influential this book is, taking stories from other cultres around the world.
Andrea
These are very cute short stories about girls who use their brains to solve problems. I love the little bit of humor in each story and want to read all of these to my kids. I think these are great lessons on creative problem solving for girls & boys alike.
They were also free to download on Kindle.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 31146 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG - BL: 5.2 - AR Pts: 3.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Atlantis
I was not impressed by this collection of tales- some loosely (maybe all) based off of the brothers Grimm legendary tales. Some things should just not be altered...even for the sake of "girl power.". I'm sure us girls will survive without reading this series...
Charlene
Another "read a chapter a night" with kids pick. This one had a mix of stories, some excellent (like The Fairy Godmother's Assistant) and others less well done. So pretty typical for an anthology. A nice change of pace from passive princesses in towers.
Amy
Another book I read with my 8 year old daughter. This one is a collection of adapted and original tales showcasing females who prosper by being clever, wise, or kind (or a combination of all of the above!) A great book to share with your children.
Barbara
The stories in this volume were interesting, but were very much like other fairy tales I have heard, with a few details changed and a female heroine in each one. My second graders would enjoy it, but it could have been a little more original.
Alyssa
Ilove this book its great.Geuss how old i am im 10.surprise surprise!But i mostly think this book is for kids,dont u think so.Anyway its time for dinner.So bye bye my fellow youngsters like myself.
Amandalynn
There were some fun twists to old fairy tales. I did LOVE how they were all stories of girls getting ahead by using their brains and being clever, great examples for little girls.
Justine
I got this book from my mother, I cherish it.
It has a collection of smart stories that are inspirational to young girls. It lets them see that there can be fairytales in our world too.
Sheila
I read this aloud to my daughter at bedtimes. The book contains fun folktales and fairy tales, all updated to make the girls featured in them smart, clever, and self reliant.
Alyssa
I love when girls kick butt :) Written for 8-13 year olds this book does a fantastic job of putting women at the front of fairy tales. no more damsel in distress! whoo!
Arni Vidar Bjorgvinsson
An enjoyable, light read. Some stories are (naturally) better than others, but overall a nice collection of stories and probably a very nice bed-time read for the young.
Jessa
This was a very cute quick read, loved how the stories involved girls using their brains to solve things. I even read one if the stories to my 8 and 5 year old.
Jessica Van Vleet
not a bad read. quick short stories for girls. none of them really wow`d me, but they were cute. i would recommend them for younger girls. maybe 8-10.yo.
Dan Rogers
Think that I'll have to put this one in my classroom library. Well written stories which show that girls are just as capable as boys.
Anne
I didn't know this had become a series. Good stories. I think the girls will like them. I'll have to keep my eyes open for the others.
Amanda
Jul 06, 2013 Amanda rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone with a short attention span
This was a very short story. It was only 13 pages. I liked it but wish it could have had a little more detail.
rivka
Tries too hard. Not bad, but not that great either. Ok addition to "traditional" fairy tales for kids who like them.
  • Golde the Mother (Lost Tales of Mercia, #1)
  • Garbage! Monster! Burp!
  • The Vanishing
  • A Horse to Love (Keystone Stables #1)
  • Cain's Apples
  • The Labyrinth
  • En Route: A Paramedic's Stories of Life, Death, and Everything in Between
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • A Santangelo Story
  • Dawn of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #0.5)
  • Monster in the Mirror - A Short Story
  • Evergreen A Christmas Tale
  • Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #1)
  • Priscilla the Great (Priscilla the Great #1)
  • Outta the Bag (Cadence Jones, #0.5)
  • Shattered: A Daughter's Regret (Secrets, #2)
  • Katy's New World (Katy Lambright Series, #1)
  • Until Again: The prequel novella to Blue
I was born on June 1, 1941. My first home was an apartment in Manhattan's Upper West Side, a neighborhood that overlooked the George Washington Bridge. Soon after kindergarten, my family moved to Scarsdale, which seemed to be “in the country.” In high school, I broke my ankle when I went out for the lacrosse team, so I wrote a sports column for the school newspaper. I don't think I showed any part...more
More about Bruce Lansky...
Kids Pick The Funniest Poems 100,000 + Baby Names:The Most Complete Baby Name Book Newfangled Fairy Tales, Book #1 If I Ran the School Bad Case Of The Giggles, A : Kids' Favorite Funny Poems