Start by marking “Girls to the Rescue, #1” as Want to Read:
Girls to the Rescue, #1

Girls to the Rescue, #1 (Girls to the Rescue #1)

In most heroic tales, a helpless young lady waits around for a prince to rescue her. But the spunky girls in this entertaining series are much too busy saving the day to await Prince Charming. These adaptations and original stories from around the world inspire readers to become a new kind of heroine. If you enjoy the stories in this book, look for more fun adventures in t ...more
Published December 21st 2010 by Meadowbrook (first published June 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Girls to the Rescue, #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls to the Rescue, #1

Sarah Crawford
Jan 29, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a series of short stories, and they are from all over the world. There are ten stories in this collection. The author introduces the stories by noting that relationships do not necessarily end 'happily ever after' and that there might be no prince coming along to rescue the girl. The women and girls are the heroines in her stories; they don't depend on a man to come along and rescue them.

The heroines don't succeed by using their physical attributes, by resorting to magic, or by using vi
Caitlín (Ink Mage)
I really loved this book when I was younger, because all of the stories (even the retold fairytales like Cinderella) are feminist-oriented. And not in the usual misconception people have of feminism being people who who think "men are stupid," but in the way that girls and women are people, too, and that we're strong enough, clever enough, and smart enough to fix our own problems and save the lives of people we love.
Jul 04, 2012 Dana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ten short stories about creative and resourceful girls who all "save the day" in some sense--but not like superheroes, of course. An example is the Japanese girl named Kimi in the story Kimi and the Ogre. Kimi saves the day by getting her foolish brother Taro out of trouble and danger with her quick wits, not strength or superpowers like in comic books.

It was hard to pick since there were so many good ones, and all the characters were so fully developed, but my favorite short story was the first
Jan 23, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good little collection of fairy tales about girls doing the deeds, be it rescuing thier brother, dealing with stepmothers, or a bunch of other things.

While each tale is retold by a different author, the tales come from a wide background. There is a story about former slaves in the United States, there is a story with a unicorn, there is a beautiful story about a princess killing a dragon and a troll.

The stories are designed for children, mostly girls, and the girls succeed largely due
Sep 22, 2015 Kayley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although this is a children's book I absolutely loved it when I was little reading the stories inside hundreds of times over. Truly a very empowering book for young girls.
Mar 31, 2013 May rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books
It is amazing!
although it's 10 children stories, it has so many good ideas, and some good morals (but I didn't like that some of them based on lies). the introduction was remarkable as well!
I was attached with the first story, almost cried after the second, and LOL while reading the third. in all stories the girls are in the spot light!

if you're tired from old classical stories, like Snow white, sleeping beauty... etc, you'll find in this book great different perspective.

I'm going to read the ne
Marsha Foltermann
Apr 16, 2015 Marsha Foltermann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Flies in front of the camera

That's good to hear from you soon and I don't want to see you tomorrow night and even though I love you. Your mom is buddhism and the religions of the world is not a fan. Google wallet and the world of pure imagination is buddhism god I don't think so . Baby I'm sorry to bother you again and again and the other day when I was just wondering what you doing tonight or tomorrow morning and then I can get a hamburger. Tacos for $99.00 at the shop in front of crowds at lea
Jul 28, 2010 Janis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Great book! I loved all the stories and how clever the girls were. I wish my library system had more of these books. 'sigh'
Jun 22, 2014 Em rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The entire point of the book is to make a collection of tales where unlike the fairy talks I grew up on of empty-headed, pretty-faced china dolls tht had to be rescued by a prince with a kiss or a godmother’s magic – these girls are the heroines of their own stories. I particularly liked the rework of Scheherazade for ‘Chardae’s 1001 Nights’, and ‘The Royal Joust’. Of course the stories are fantastical and the resolutions and happy endings come easy but then they are fairy tales. I must admit to ...more
Cindy Winder delong
I loved these fairy tales!! There aren't any weak girls or women in these stories. All of the stories are centered upon smart, kind, resourceful, courageous, brainy and clever heroines. Some fairy tales are re-worked classics, others are original tales. All prove that girls don't need to wait for her prince to rescue her; in fact, sometimes she rescues the prince! The stories take place all around the world, including Japan, Mexico, China and Germany. I just glanced back at the Table of Contents ...more
Mar 08, 2016 Lo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book for the princess who didn't need saving, the make-believe warrior queen, and the girl who plays astronaut more than house. But even if she does love a good knight in shining armor story, she'll love these.

Girls to the Rescue is an amazing series of short stories for girls. The stories pull from folk and fairy tales from all over the world, and some that seem to be pulled from this week's headlines. The stories are quick and engrossing, great for shorter attention spans, or SSR ti
Jul 20, 2015 Jaguar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-kindle
"Girls to the Rescue #1: The Royal Joust" by Bruce Lansky has 10 stories about girls. Some of them were based off original fairy tales, and some weren't. The stories were well written and I have a few favorites in this book. I look forward to reading book 2 to this series.

Mar 15, 2014 Kate rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When I read the description when I bought the book, I was expecting something that was factually based. These are essentially fairy tales. Other than wrong expectations, I still wasn't impressed with the stories - there was really one one that seemed fully developed.
Aug 13, 2016 Cornelia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I'm not sure that this the exact one that I read. However mine contained five or six different stories about clever girls.
Most of the stories overly simplistic in their writing.
No illustrations.
Jaime the Wizzard
This book had a nice collection of good stories that feature girls/women as the heroes and main characters. A few stories had odd writing styles, but I suspect that they would sound better read aloud like most children's books.
The only story I had a problem with was the retelling of The Arabian Nights, but that's just because I hate “cleaned-up” versions of fairy tales and thought the beheadings could have been left in. Most kids (yes even girls!) would rather hear about peoples heads getting c
Michelle Buhler
Nov 14, 2014 Michelle Buhler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent bedtime stories

My 6 year old daughter loved this book and my 4 year old boy/girl twins were also able to enjoy it. Chapters are perfect lengths for bedtime stories.
Oct 15, 2008 smalls rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found this in a give away box. Going to check it out and see if I would let my kids read it. Half way done, so far like all the stories except for one part in the first one that involved cutting up the family curtains and sheets. But loving the rest of it. It's not a bad book. Some of it is a bit too feminist for my taste, but all in all it is a fun book.
Jul 16, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read book. I belive that the stories told throughout this book is not only powerful, but enlightning and influential. This book focus on how girls solve their own problems and rescue themselves and others who are in danger. I also love how cultrally influential this book is, taking stories from other cultres around the world.
Jul 26, 2011 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holland
These are very cute short stories about girls who use their brains to solve problems. I love the little bit of humor in each story and want to read all of these to my kids. I think these are great lessons on creative problem solving for girls & boys alike.
They were also free to download on Kindle.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 31146 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG - BL: 5.2 - AR Pts: 3.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Jul 30, 2011 Atlantis rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
I was not impressed by this collection of tales- some loosely (maybe all) based off of the brothers Grimm legendary tales. Some things should just not be altered...even for the sake of "girl power.". I'm sure us girls will survive without reading this series...
Another "read a chapter a night" with kids pick. This one had a mix of stories, some excellent (like The Fairy Godmother's Assistant) and others less well done. So pretty typical for an anthology. A nice change of pace from passive princesses in towers.
Another book I read with my 8 year old daughter. This one is a collection of adapted and original tales showcasing females who prosper by being clever, wise, or kind (or a combination of all of the above!) A great book to share with your children.
The stories in this volume were interesting, but were very much like other fairy tales I have heard, with a few details changed and a female heroine in each one. My second graders would enjoy it, but it could have been a little more original.
Feb 11, 2015 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly well written and satisfying stories that are even moving at times. Definitely enjoyed by my daughter and quickly drew interest from other girl's parents who are intending on getting themselves a copy. well worth the purchase.
Jun 13, 2011 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ilove this book its great.Geuss how old i am im 10.surprise surprise!But i mostly think this book is for kids,dont u think so.Anyway its time for dinner.So bye bye my fellow youngsters like myself.
There were some fun twists to old fairy tales. I did LOVE how they were all stories of girls getting ahead by using their brains and being clever, great examples for little girls.
Jul 12, 2008 Justine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book from my mother, I cherish it.
It has a collection of smart stories that are inspirational to young girls. It lets them see that there can be fairytales in our world too.
  • Final Moments: Nurses' Stories about Death and Dying
  • Hailey Twitch Is Not a Snitch (Hailey Twitch, #1)
  • Shakespeare In an Hour
  • I Love You This Much: A Song of God's Love [With CD]
  • Chicks Ahoy! (Chicks in Chainmail, #1-3)
  • The Dragon of the Dolomites
  • Cain's Apples
  • Garbage! Monster! Burp!
  • The Tales of Big and Little: Doom of the Three Stones (Tell Me A Story Bedtime Stories for Kids, #1)
  • The Labyrinth
  • En Route: A Paramedic's Stories of Life, Death, and Everything in Between
  • The Socratic Dialogues
  • 1936... On the Continent
  • The Hands of the Buddha
  • Dawn of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #0.5)
  • Ransom X (A Legacy Mystery #1)
  • Puppy Dog Tales
  • Shattered: A Daughter's Regret (Secrets, #2)
I was born on June 1, 1941. My first home was an apartment in Manhattan's Upper West Side, a neighborhood that overlooked the George Washington Bridge. Soon after kindergarten, my family moved to Scarsdale, which seemed to be “in the country.” In high school, I broke my ankle when I went out for the lacrosse team, so I wrote a sports column for the school newspaper. I don't think I showed any part ...more
More about Bruce Lansky...

Girls to the Rescue (7 books)
  • Girls to the Rescue: Just a Girl, #2