Once Removed Once Removed Once Removed

Once Removed Once Removed Once Removed

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The" Washington Post" praised Mako Yoshikawa's extraordinary first novel, One Hundred and One Ways, as "strikingly assured." The" OrlandoSentinel" called it "an impressive accomplishment." In Once Removed, Yoshikawa continues in the tradition of Alice Walker and Amy Tan with a powerful story of two women fromdifferent cultures who form a deep friendship that, though severe...more
Published May 27th 2003 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Once Removed Once Removed Once Removed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Removed Once Removed Once Removed

Jacquelyn
Once Removed offers quite a lot to the reader. It leads us through culture and generational dynamics, difficult choices and unusual perspectives on some universal dilemmas. The most obvious question is whether Claudia should leave Vikram, who is married with two children. Yoshikawa gently leads us around this decision point, and lets us think about it from several points of view. She does us the favour of not offering obvious and easy answers Yoshikawa also lets us see things through the lens of...more
Caroline
This is a story of 2 step-sisters, Rei and Claudia, who were brought together with Claudia's father left her mother to marry Hana, Rei's mother. It's a story of the effects of the Hiroshima blast on people who weren't even in the city that August in 1943. It's a story of forgiveness and letting go. But most of all, it's a story of love and recognizing it as something to protect and cherish.

Rei and Claudia were once each other's soul sisters, but haven't seen each other in 17 years after Hana le...more
Kathy Tamanaha
Found her writing to be poetic (sometimes it took me a while to get back to her original thread since she tended to place offshoots like this in parens :)) and insightful. the book was compelling enough to keep reading quickly till the end. Makes me want to pick up her other book soon.... thanks Marin!
Gia
About a love affair and the relationship of sisters and how blended families bring women together. The book is a loving tale of noticing a relative mature as with meeting often and then not so often will do. Journey's with men not often mention until later stages.
Lexie
Dec 24, 2007 Lexie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women
I'm really into Japanese writers, I don't know why. Maybe it's my obsession with Japan, but This story about two girl's who are stepsister's, that moves from their childhood into adulthood is really goos. I recommend it to any woman.
Elysabeth
This book was haunting--a little sad and slightly depressing. The lack of communication between characters is a point of frustration, but I do like how the narrative changes among the characters--that gives it a true depth of story.

Kim
i liked the bond these two girls had with each other as friends and stepsisters and glad that in the end they found each other again despite being seperated for so many years.
Chrissie
Daisy, this looks good....... I do not know exactly why this appeals to me, quite out of character, but it does! Probably the text - check is what did it!
Carrie
Finally found a "Y" for my list! The writing in this story was beautiful, even if it sometimes seemed the characters didn't develop as deeply as I'd hoped.
Kim
American contemp...1970s and 1999 NJ and Boston...Step sisters rebond, fidelity and relations. Just not my kind of book.
Rita
nicely written, interesting stories... greatly dislike the ending.
Dyna
I was expecting more from the story.
Daisy
May 07, 2010 Daisy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Daisy by: found on Lara's shelf I think
Not giving up on this yet...
Zuly
Zuly marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Betony
Betony marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Ami
Ami added it
May 19, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Zora
Zora marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
H
H marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Tamara Fisher
Tamara Fisher marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Ag.omar
Ag.omar marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Andee
Andee marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013